Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Where does the time go?

Yet another week (and a bit) have passed without the chance to write up my blog. There really has been so much to do I'm meeting myself coming back. In addition, my daughter has started her mock GCSE's and needs someone to help with revision. My french and spanish accents are dramatically improving even though I don't really understand what I'm saying. I'm sure she'll do well despite her constant worrying.

I received two early christmas pressies from my beloved this week. The first is the book of the exhibition at the V&A (Victoria & Albert) 'The Golden Age of Couture' Paris and London 1947-1957

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It is a beautiful book with a very detailed history of the era with particular reference (obviously) to Christian Dior and Balenciaga. Every garment in it is as contemporary today as it was then.

Then to follow on with my couture experience an equally wonderful book

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

which is a fabulous techniques book aimed at the home dressmaker. For example there are eight different buttonhole techniques:

blind
bound
chanel
hand-worked
keyhole
plain
stranded
&
two colour

It really is fantastic.

At the weekend I met my lovely ex-secret pal, Emma, and had a lovely if far too brief conversation. I look forward to seeing you again Emma.

It was lovely to see my designs for knitonthenet displayed at the Stitch 'n Bitch Day and it reminded me that first and foremost I am a fashion designer. There was a definate cohesion amongst the designs and it was great to get feedback on people's opinions of them. It was also very complimentary but VERY scary, to be told there was a fashion designer asking if they could take photographs of my work. They were politely declined. There is no such thing as a truly original design anymore but I can't think of any reason why a fellow designer would want photographs of my work unless they were thinking of copying it. It has happened before and its a horrible feeling. Maybe I'm being too suspicious but...

I am absolutely, 100% definately, going to post within the week this time, I'm determined.

but, for now,

Ruby xxx

3 comments :

Linda said...

Your books look gorgeous. I think that you were right not to let them take photos. xx

Gudrun Johnston said...

Looking forward to seeing your designs in the next knitonthenet issue!! Tell your daughter good luck on the exams...I remember the days (sort of hazily)!

Robin said...

The books look great. I wouldn't have let them take pictures either. Have a nice weekend!