Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Necks

Why necks? Well for two reasons. The first is why I haven't blogged for a week. My neck, my dammed annoying neck. Part of my long term reoccuring mobility problems are due to two of the vertebrae being partially fused together and having a fondness to pop out of joint. Tension in my neck caused by this happening at the weekend caused my shoulder to dislocate, the muscles in my thorax to twist and my hip to pop out too! All this has meant repeated visits to the therapist and no knitting or computing. I've got my last visit this morning to put the neck and finally the hip back in. However, enough of the moaning. I really only wanted to tell you yet another saga about the neck so you would understand my absence (shouldn't be here now - but don't tell anyone!)

The second reason to focus on necks is that last week I made my own version of a Tippet (a neck warmer). I took the basic stitch pattern from the 1880 Ladies Knitting Book and 'filled' the instructions out somewhat, and in view of the ice still on the ground I thought I would share the pattern here.

Ruby's Tippet


tippet1


Materials

Two balls Noro Silk Garden
I Large button
1 pair 5mm needles

Pattern

Cast on 39sts using 5mm needles

1st Row: *yfwd, SL1, K2tog, rep from * to end of row.
Repeat this row throughout.

tippet2

This one row pattern gives a very nice exaggerated rib effect but much more textural than a normal rib.

Work without shaping until tippet measures 54 cm (21.5inches)

Work buttonhole as follows:

1st row(RS): work 6 patt reps., K2, Cast off first st., K1, cast off 1,
yfwd k2tog., patt to end.

2nd row: Patt to last st before cast off sts., K1, turn, cast on 3sts,
bringing yfwd between last 2 cast on sts., turn, K1, yfwd, K2tog, patt to end.

3rd row: Work 6 patt reps., K1, yfwd, (K2tog)twice, work 6 patt reps to end.

Now work a further 26 rows in patt.
Cast off.
Darn in ends. Sew on button.

Tippet3

Copyright Justcallmeruby@2008

I will try and get some professional photos done at the knitonthenet shoot in a couple of weeks as I don't really think the photos here do it justice.

Unfortunately, I can't find the camera card with the photos of my 40's hair do at
present. My beloved has put it somewhere safe, but as soon as I find it I will put them up.

And finally, last year the lovely Susie Hewer, ran a series of marathons culminating in her entering the Guiness Book of Records for knitting the longest scarf whilst running a marathon.

susiehewer

This is her after the race last year.

Susie did all this on behalf of the Alzheimer's Research Trust. Susie has just announced she's doing it again, and is going to try and beat her record.

You can find out all about it here.

P.S. Susie's also a redhead!

for now
Ruby xx

7 comments :

Adrienne said...

Very cute! I love the colors you used.

Gudrun Johnston said...

That does look very cosy..sorry to hear about your popping of joints..how annoying....hope it all gets back to normal soon!

Linda said...

Your tippet is great, I like the colours. I hope you feel better soon, joint popping doesn't sound nice. :(

Catherine Wilson said...

The tippet looks lovely and the button just sets it off. Hope you are feeling better soon. Lots of love x

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear your neck is giving you so much gyp Ruby. Hope you feel better soon :)

xxx

Lauren Hairston said...

Here's hoping you feel better very soon! I never imagined a tippet could be so lovely. I always think of poor old women in Dickens novels wearing them!

weaverknits said...

I just found your website through Knit on the Net, and I have to say that I ADORE the orange angora cardigan you designed for issue 1. Gorgeous. I'll be following your work!